This post will provide details on how to get your National Identification Number (NIN) online using the NIMC pre-enrollment form, how to download the PDF NIN registration form and list of NIN registration centres in all Nigerian states.
On the 1st of January 2019, the federal government made it mandatory that every Nigerian must have their national identification number (NIN). The National Identity Management Commission(NIMC) is government agency responsible to assigning a legal identity to every citizen.
In order to create awareness among Nigerians on the importance of identification, the federal government has adopted September 16 as National Identity Day(ID-Day). Nigeria is the first country in the world to declare September 16 as ID Day.
According to the government, building a comprehensive database and assigning NIN to every citizen will drastically reduce the level of crime and also help facilitates the ease of doing business in Nigeria.
The use of NIN for JAMB registration, International passport and registration of new cards was recently introduced in Nigeria in 2019, before then NIN was used in accessing services like Tax payment, insurance, pension etc.
Facts about NIN
Before i begin with instructions on how to get nin number, here are some important facts you must know about NIN.
1. The National Identity Number NIN can only be obtained from the National Identity Management Commission. NIN is a unique 11 digit number that is used to verify the identity of an individual. NIN ties all records about an individual to the database of the Nigerian government. Once a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given or used by another person – that makes it unique in nature.
2. It compulsory to register for NIN. All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria from age zero (birth) and above are required to enroll for their NIN.
3. The NIN is now a requirement in obtaining driver’s license, permanent voters card, paying tax, collecting pension, opening bank account, JAMB registration, registration of new sim cards etc.
4. The NIN is also a requirement for the collection of your National Identity Card which can also be used to payment and travel purposes.
5. The NIN should be closely guarded by individuals and not revealed to all and sundry except to relevant authorities when requested (for instance it shouldn’t be disclosed online over social media and should not be printed along with contact details on business cards or other office stationery).
Why is NIN Compulsory? Every Nigerian must have a National Identity Number, if you don’t have NIN, it means the government doesn’t know about you, so therefore they cannot provide you any service because your identity is unknown.
Now that you know the benefits of NIN, here are the document needed for NIN registration online during pre-enrollment and at the registration centres.
NIN Registration Requirements
Below are the necessary documents for NIN registration.
- Old National id Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff id card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff id card
- School ID Card private/Public
How to Get NIN Number – Download NIN Registration Form
If you need a downloadable PDF format of the NIN Registration Form – Click Here. The NIMC NIN pre-enrollment form is a template with the necessary registration fields. All you need to do is fill in your details and take the form to the nearest NIN registration centre in your location.
The NIMC NIN registration form is NOT for SALE. Report anyone selling the form to NIMC on 0700-CALL-NIMC (0700-225-5646).
How to Get NIN Number in Nigeria
Enrollment consists of the recording of an individual’s demographic data and capture of the ten (10) fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture and digital signature, which are all used to cross-check existing data in the National Identity Database to confirm that there is no previous entry of the same data.
Below are the steps to register for NIN;
1. Visit NIMC website and download the NIN enrollment form. The NIMC official website is www.nimc.gov.ng.
2. Fill your details accurately using block letter only.
3. Locate the nearest NIMC enrollment center, submit your form and begin your biometrics capturing.
4. After a successful NIN registration, you will get a slip containing your National identification number.
NIN Registration Centre
- Akwa Ibom
- Cross River
There are currently about 1000 NIN registration centres nationwide. Due to the population and increasing demand NIMC aims to setup atleast 4,000 registration centres nationwide in the near future. You can locate multiple NIN registration centre in your state by visiting the NIMC head office in your state. You can also visit the NIMC portal to view an updated list of all NIN registration centres in Nigeria.
HOW TO RETRIEVE LOST NIN
If you misplaced your NIN slip and forgot your National Identification Number, you can check and retrieve your NIN by visiting any NIMC office or licensed agent. You can also check or retrieve your lost NIN by dialing the *346# USSD code and your NIN will display on phone. This service cost N20. Note that you can only retrieve lost NIN on the mobile number used during NIN registration.
Frequently asked question about NIN.
No. Your NIN does not expire.
Yes. Your NIN Slip is a valid means of Identification. The 11 digit numbers written on your NIN Slip is your digital Identity. Do not disclose your NIN to an unauthorized person.
No. You don’t renew NIN only your ID Card. You can only be issued NIN once in your life time.
Enrolling for your National Identity Number is Free.
Card renewal cost N3,000.
Replacement of lost or stolen ID cards cost N5,000.
Visit any NIMC office nearest to your with your NIN to request for a new NIN slip.
Reprinting of misplaced NIN slip cost N500 payable through remita.