The JAMB Central admission processing system is a new method of admission which was introduced by JAMB in 2017. The system has which has proven to be successful is now being used for in the 2018 – 2019 UTME and Direct Entry admission.
According to the JAMB public relations officer, Dr Fabian Benjamin, “We have designed software known as Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS), where human interference will be completely removed, to promote credibility.
“The admission criteria would be keyed into the software and it will select candidates blindly according to the institutions requirement without any primordial consideration.”
This post will explain some of the basic features of JAMB CAPS which all candidates must know.
Below are a List of JAMB 2018 CAPS admission Process that will take place after candidates have successfully written the UTME and DE;
1. Submitting of JAMB 2018 names of Successful candidates
After successful completion of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and release of results, lists of Candidates were forwarded to their First Choice Institutions
2. JAMB CAPS 2018 Cut Off Marks
JAMB thereafter requested all Institutions to use the Lists to determine their respective Cut off Marks and forward same to JAMB ahead of the Policy Meeting and programme (course).
3. JAMB CAPS Departmental Cut Off Mark
JAMB received and collated Individual Institution and programme (course) Cut Off Marks as determined by their respective Senate / Academic Board
4. Trained CAPS Specialist
Three (3) Representatives of Institutions – (Vice Chancellors / Registrars / Provosts), Registrars and Admissions Desk Officers were trained on the Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS)
5. JAMB CAPS Policy Meeting
Policy Meeting was held with Heads of Tertiary Institution and Regulators to determine, among others, the General Cut Off Marks for categories of institutions, based on earlier submissions of individual Cut Off marks by the Institutions.
At the meeting, which was held in Abuja on Tuesday, 22 August, 2017, the institutions decided that the lowest submissions from Institutions would also be Minimum Cut off Marks and these were 120 (for Universities) and 100 (Polytechnics, Monotechnics and Colleges of Education).
It was further agreed that the Cut Off Marks as determined by each Institution’s Senate / Academic Board and submitted would be maintained and applicable for Admission to the Institution.
6. CAPS Admission Criteria
Based on requests at the Policy Meeting, JAMB requires each Institution to reconfirm its Cut Off Marks and Sets the Cut Off Mark and other Institution specific parameters such as other Admissions Criteria (e.g. Post UTME Screening) and carrying capacity on CAPS. This is on-going.
7. Institution Selection of Qualified Candidates
Institutions download (from CAPS) details of Candidates that meet the Institution’s and programme’s Cut Off Mark and had selected them as First Choice Institutions. JAMB additionally provides soft copy of the same information on CDs to Institutions.
8. Upload of Result to JAMB Portal
Awaiting Results Candidates upload their results to JAMB Portal
9. 2018 Post UTME Screening of Shortlisted Candidates
Institutions may conduct Post UTME Screenings for downloaded candidates
10. Calculation of Aggregate Score
Results of Post UTME where applicable are uploaded to CAPS to obtain aggregate scores for the candidates
11. CAPS Candidates Ranking
CAPS ranks and suggests candidates that meet the Institution’s Admissions Criteria as configured on the system by the Institution.
12. List of Selected Candidates for 2018 Admission
The Admissions Desk Officer of the Institution reviews the List of the Suggested Candidates and makes the decision as to which candidates to select for further processing. The Admissions Desk Officer generates a List of Proposed Candidates for review and approval of the Head of the Institution
13. The Head of the Institution reviews the List of Proposed Candidates as appropriates and push the List of Recommended Candidates to confirm they are from those initially sent to the Institution; met the Admissions Criteria as advertised.
16. Accept / Reject 2018 CAPS Provisional Admission
JAMB notifies Candidates to Accept / Reject Admission
17. Candidate Accepts / Rejects Admission on the JAMB Portal or through USSD or Short Service Code within 72hours.
18. If Candidate Accepts Provisional Admission, JAMB updates Admission Status and forwards List of Confirmed Admissions to the Institution
19. Printing of JAMB Admission Letter
Candidate prints Admission Letter and Proceeds to the Institution for further internal Admission Processing
20. JAMB CAPS Market Place
If Candidate Rejects Admission, she/he becomes available in the Market Place for further possible consideration for Admissions. Read About JAMB CAPS Market Place
Key features of JAMB Central Admission Processing System ( CAPS );
1. O/L Results Upload, Requirement for Admission Consideration
2. Interface with NECO & WAEC for automated Results Verification
3. Candidates’ Confirmation of Admission Offer
4. “Market Place” to Source Candidates
5. Automatic Enforcement of Admission Timelines
Top Advantages of JAMB CAPS Admission System
1. Efficient Use of Time and Resources
2. Automation Minimizes Human Errors
3. Eliminates Multiple Admissions
4. Significantly reduces Attrition Rate
5. Enforces Respect for Internal Rules & Discourages Arbitrariness
6. Provides for Instant Admission
7. Makes Candidates the Central Focus
NOT Admitted in JAMB CAPS Portal/ Market Place
Candidates that see “NOT Admitted” on thier JAMB CAPS Dashbaord should know that it means your school hasn’t commenced its admission process. You are advised to check back later.
When you school has released thier admission list, you will notice the “Accept Admission” Icon will be visible and able to click.
If you have been admitted by your school and JAMB CAPS portal says “NO Admission Given Yet” I suggest, you contact your school for further instructions.
Below are some other notification which you may see on your JAMB Dashboard;
Admission in Progess
Welcome – If you see this message on your screen, it means you are currently accessing the portal using a incompartible device such as mobile phone. JAMB CAPS portal should be accessed only with a PC.
Thanks for visiting, don’t forget to share. Also kindly Bookmark this Blog and visit again.