According to the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission only about four per cent of 182 million Nigerians have formal health insurance and majority of the people with health insurance in the country are workers in the public sector.
This is because the current act establishing The National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) made it optional but anywhere in the world that health insurance is in practice, it is compulsory.
The National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) has called for an amendment of the section that made enrollment optional, thereby make health insurance compulsory in Nigeria. The NHIS has also urged the federal government to establish state health insurance schemes that will also provide Nigerians with an affordable Health Insurance scheme.
What is Health Insurance?
Health insurance is a way to pay for health care. Health insurance protects you from paying the full costs of medical expenses for illnesses, injuries and conditions.
Available NHIS Programmes
In order to ensure that every Nigerian has access to good health care services, the National Health Insurance Scheme has developed various programmes to cover different segments of the society these programme are divided into Formal Sector, Mobil Health And Voluntary Contributors Social Health Insurance Programmes.
Some of the benefits of subscribing to the NHIS include:
1. Hospital care in a standard ward for a stay limited to cumulative of 21 days per year.
2. Maternity care for up to four (4) live births for every insured contributor
Consultation with specialists such as physicians, paediatrics, gynaecologists, surgeons, physiotherapists, etc.
3. Preventive care immunization as it applies in the National Immunization Programme.
4. Health education, family planning (counselling), antenatal and post natal care.
5. Out-patient care, including necessary consumables (Drugs, Injections, drips), and so on.
Health Insurance Cost in Nigeria
Health insurance cost varies depending on your health insurance service provider and your insurance plan. They are health insurance plans for individuals, small and large families, organizations and S.M.Es. For instance, the cost of an insurance plan for a small family under NHIS can start from about N9000, while that of other HMOs will be higher.
Top 10 Accredited Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) in Nigeria
A Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) is a private or public incorporated company registered by the National Health Insurance Scheme solely for the purpose of managing the provision of health care services through Health Care Facilities accredited by the Scheme. Currently there are seventy-seven (77) accredited HMOs operating in Nigeria.
1. Hygeia HMO Limited
2. Total Health Trust Limited
3. Clearline International Limited
4. Healthcare International Limited
5. Medi Plan health care Limited
6. Multishield Nigeria Limited
7. United Healthcare International Limited
8. Premium Health Limited
9. International Health Services Limited
10. Zenith Medicare Limited