Plantain presumably originated from the Spanish word “plantano. Plantain is one of the most common staple foods mostly grown in the tropical regions of Nigeria and West Africa.
In Nigeria, plantain is a common and special delicacy prepared by frying, boiling, roasting or made into plantain chips.
People often wonder;
What are benefits of ripe plantain during pregnancy?
Is plantain protein or carbohydrate
What does ripe plantain give to the body
Plantain benefits and side effects
Can diabetes eat Platains
is plantain good for weight loss
plantain herb health benefits
This post is going to be explaining some of advantages of eating both ripe and unriped plantains.
Health Benefits of Unripe Plantains
1. It richness in potassium makes it heart friendly by preventing heart attack and hypertension through controlling heart rate and blood pressure in our body and cell. Also, it fibre content is great for reducing cholesterols level which reduce the risk of developing any heart diseases.
2. It can treat anemia and neuritis.
3. Its a great meal for weight loss and healthy eating.
4. It source of vitamin A, B6 and C helps with better vision, better skin complexion, builds immunity against diseases and free radicals.
5. Its richness in fibre makes bowel movement easier which also reduce constipation.
6. Unripe plantain is very low in sugar compared to ripe or over ripe plantain and this makes it a good choice for diabetes especially when added with other fibre and protein rich food such as green vegetables. Thus, it makes a great choice for preventing diabetes.
7. Various studies conducted have shown that unripe plantain contains phytochemical properties such as leucocyanidin which can prevents ulcer.
8. Making unripe plantain part of your healthy meal plan will help you in improving sexual performance through increase libido, improve male fertility, thicker sperm and volume.
9. Unripe Plantain is rich in calcium which is the essential mineral needed for stronger bones, muscles, nails and teeth. A healthy meal with unripe plantain inclusive will prevents diseases such as osteoporosis which involves the weakening of the bones and causes fractures.
Health Benefits of Eating Ripe Plantains
1. Help regulate the digestive system – As a high-fibre food, plantains add bulk to food intake, which aids digestion. Fibre also make you feel full, which can help with weight control.
2. Boost the immune system – Plantains contain 36 per cent of your daily recommended amount of vitamin A. As another powerful antioxidant, vitamin A provides a number of benefits to the body.
Along with vitamin C, it helps control your immune response, which keeps illness at bay, and a number of important immune system responses rely on vitamin A to perform correctly.
3. Promote healthy brain function – Vitamin B6, also called pyridoxine, and generates several important neurotransmitters that carry information from one cell to another.
4. Great source of magnesium – Magnesium directly affects calcium absorption, which can avert or reverse osteoporosis.
It also lowers the risk of getting type 2 diabetes by controlling blood glucose levels through carbohydrate metabolism and insulin regulation.