Medicine is considered as one of the most lucrative majors to study in Universities, In Nigeria thousands of students apply through UTME to study medicine in different universities in the country, This is one of the reasons why Medicine has the highest cut-off mark in UME, making it a very competitive. Even after making it through the UME hurdles it doesn’t get easier from then on because the real deal is just about to start, only Medical students will know what I’m talking about.
After a very hectic and intense Six years of Medical school, it is mandatory to undergo a one-year internship programme (in a MDCN certified hospital) in order to be registered and certified to practice medicine in Nigeria and there after you may now go for youth service.
In the case of Foreign Graduates, in order for them to be certified to practice medicine in Nigeria by the MDCN (Medical & Dental Council of Nigeria), they are required to attend a four month remedial course at a teaching hospital in Nigeria. I will be listing the best & approved teaching hospital in Nigeria in this post.
Here is a list of the Top Medical Schools in Nigeria that are approved by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
MDCN APPROVED TEACHING HOSPITALS FOR INTERNSHIP TRAINING
* Abia State University Teaching Hospital, Aba
* University of Uyo Teaching Hospital
* Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hosp. Nnewi
* University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital
* University of Calabar Teaching Hospital
* Ebonyi State University Teaching Hosp., Abakaliki
* University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City
* University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu
* Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano
* Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria
* University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin
* Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba
* Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja
* Olabisi Onabanjo (Ogun State) University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu
* LAUTECH teaching Hospital, Osogbo
* OAU teaching Hospital Complex, Ile-Ife
* University College Hospital, Ibadan
* Jos University Teaching Hospital
* University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital
* Usmanu Danfodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto
* Delta State University Teaching Hospital, Oghara
* University of Abuja Teaching Hospital Gwagwalada
* Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital, Okolobiri
* Benue State University Teaching Hospital Makurdi
Reviewing the Best Universities to study Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria
I can really boast any where that Nigerian universities have the best medical schools in West Africa. Each year our university produces hundreds of qualified doctors from all parts of the country, and they all turn out to be very successful in the profession.
I stumbled across a debate about the best universities which one can study medical related courses in Nigeria, such as Pharmacy, Medicine and Surgery, Nursing and so on. So I thought I should use this opportunity give my own opinion on the matter. Here goes. . .
Best University to Study Medicine in Nigeria
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University of Ilorin
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Ahmadu Bello University
- Ambrose Ali University Ekpoma (AAU)
- Niger Delta University
I did some research on this, and then I came with this list. Note that, the list is in no particular other.